Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Warthog Enclosure

I was cycling along the Regent's Canal today and stopped for a fag, as I often do, on a bench that faces the warthog enclosure in London Zoo. There is a boy warthog and a girl warthog. He was feeling randy, or bored. It's a pretty boring enclosure. So they headbutt each other for a bit, which for a warthog I have noticed seems to be the only form of social interaction, but then their heads do take up most of their mass, so they can't have much choice. He headbutts her into some kind of ritual submission, then tries to mount her. She ain't interested, walks off. He tries to mount her again so she sideswipes him with her tusks. Girl warthogs have tusks as big as boys. He gets the message and pretends he wasn't interested in the first place.

Now where have I seen that before?

Well, that's my day.

2 comments:

Molly Bloom said...

He shouldn't have given up...that's what I say. I feel a bit sorry for him actually. Poor fellow. All that tusk and titillation...must be very frustrating. Drink soon? Am away this weekend and for part of next week (dirty stopout - us warthogs like to party you know) but after that?

Molly Bloom said...

Message to warthog...don't worry about being th'wart'ed...she'll come round eventually.